Home > Facts about Venice >
Read on! Because I will show you some facts about Venice Italy. Why? Because without knowing these facts you don't know enough! And I like to tell you more about Venice, the backgrounds and so on... Every vacation or city trip has to be tasty and well prepared. And I'm helping you. It is my passion to tell you more about Venice Information.
So, let's start with these...
1. Do all citizen in Venice have a boat? This assumption is what you think if you watch the water traffic closely. Many Venice residents need a boat to work. One in Two families possesses a pleasure boat.
2. How expensive is a gondola boat? A new black traditional gondola costs about EUR 15,000 and maintenance is costly. They are just about 10 meters long, almost 1.5 meters wide and weighs 350 kg. Read more about this typical Venetian boat >
3. Are the buildings floating on water? Millions of pine wood piles from the Alps were driven deep into the compressed clay-mud base petrified in the absence of oxygen. Covered with planks and Istrian stone slabs made it a solid foundation for buildings
4. How deep is the Venice lagoon? At its maximum between 15 m (49 ft) and 20 m (65 ft).
5. Is Venice Italy still sinking? In theory, this stopped when the industries in Marghera quit pumping out groundwater. However, the rise of the world's sea level combined with the pressure weight of buildings does us questioning how long it will take. Recently it is discovered on satellite photo's that Venice is sinking 2. millimeter a year. Read more about these scientific facts about Venice >
6. Is water safe for swimming? Yes. The upper Adriatic emerges typically with a clean slate. Next to natures clean up there are periodic controls for bacterial. Read more about sewers and wastewater in Venice.
7. Do people often fall into the water? The odd tourist takes the plunge when he is getting in the gondola or a water taxi. Occasionally it is happening. Be aware of moss-covered steps and of course don't let children unattended. When you arrive at Piazzale Roma and will enter Venice, you will cross the bridge: Venice Ponte di Calatrava
8. Is the water drinkable from the drinking fountains? Yes. It's the same as tap water and subject to constant testing. Until 1884 Venice Italy depended on rainwater collected beneath squares, which they used for bathing and cooking.
9. How does the sewage in Venice work? People told me that most sewage goes directly into the canals in Venice without treatment. It is true that it is in seawater. This water is so incredibly salty that it is not polluting or dirty. And you will not notice as a tourist because the canals are flushed out by the tides. Read more about how wastewater is treated in Venice >
10. How many people live in Venice Italy? Around 55.000. Mostly senior citizen. Young couples prefer to move the mainland with the convenience of a car, not to mention lower house prices, cheaper shopping, and fewer tourist. Every year almost a 1.000 Venetian leave the city to live in another place.
11. The latest news, the best tips, and the best videos about Venice? There is much to tell about this beautiful city. When I feel that I can use the News for my site, I make my article with my opinion. Please feel free to comment on the article or my website. You can find almost all relevant social media tools to share your comment. You can see this news here >
Do I have to worry and is it truth?...
The local government is discussing to put a gate to pay a fee before you enter the city. Tourist has to pay at the entrance gate, the same as Disneyland...
Locals say the millions of tourists are mostly one-day trippers. They don't use local restaurants but bring their beverage. By this way the city of Venice is struggling to finance its beautiful city, to restore and to maintain.
Others are against this extra tourist tax. They are afraid Venice will turn into a theme park. Here you can read about this tourist tax in Venice.
By all means, the city has to deal with big problems. The old town is slowly sinking while the sea level rises.
In the next upcoming years, Venice has to continue its struggle against water. How will they finance this....?
Cheap Parking in Venice Italy
Be smart and get a cheap parking place when you are visiting Venice Italy! Here is an overview and mostly they have shuttle services to Venice... Check it out!
Please click on the links to explore my site more and get even more information about the different topics and facts about Venice.