The Venice Rialto Market is a unique market in the world. An opinion I share with guidebooks and visitors. Are you planning to go there? Venice Information will save you money.
I provide personal answers and others can give tips about their Travel Experiences at the Rialto.
Let me be clear: You will get the best tips, do’s & don’ts. I’m your guide! This daily market is full of Venetian specialties. You will admire the place! Above all, local people from around Venice still buy their fresh products on a daily base at this market. Get involved and smell the atmosphere of this market. The fresh Mediterranean products are delicious!
Know more about the opening times. It's history and how to...
A treat for the senses, with artistic piles of peaches and cherries, artichokes and red chicory from Treviso. Fruit, vegetables, and fish tend to be strictly seasonal. A lively place with many local people and tourists!
The location of the Rialto market is at the north-west of the Rialto Bridge in the district of San Polo. The place is alongside the Grand Canal to the right behind the souvenir stalls. In this area, you can spend without knowing 2-4 hours... A must visit!
It depends on the season if all products are available, so there is no day the same at this fresh market...
Do more than hitting the tourist areas, museums, and squares. Purchase a map of Venice or a handy travel guide during your stay in Venice Italy.
Go on an adventure and discover the tiny streets. Be different and don't go with the flow, like all other tourists... Because, otherwise you wouldn't know...
Next, to the fresh market, there is the Pescheria. A Neo-Gothic fish market hall barely out of reach because of the seagulls.
You find this fish market along the Grand Canal. This part of the Rialto Market is full of writhing eels, soft-shelled crabs, giant swordfish and crimson-fleshed fresh tuna.
The local fisherman is bringing their fresh fish just after the catch in the local Laguna! To watch this unique performance, you don't see so often!
I made a picture of the fisherman who just got out of his boat he parked next to the Pescheria. And he was going straight to his salespeople...
He was shouting 'fresh fish, fresh fish' and the fish they directly prepared the fish, so locals and restaurants can buy the fish immediately. This fish is the freshest you can ever get... And above all, it is fun to watch!
To experience all this, it is better to...
An area which is the city’s, historical heart. The trading city has its origin with the early settlers over here.
Nowadays it’s still the commercial hub of Venice. Records tell us the Venice Market took place since 1097.
The line of buildings, however, date from the 16th century due to a fire which swept through Rialto in 1514.
The only thing what has changed is the new awnings and
electronic cash registers.
Rialto market’s narrow alleyways carry names with the categories of the same type of shops.
A long time ago these shops stood together, like bakeries, eateries and other market traders. You can read this on my page about the Rialto Bridge >
1. Glassware: Impress your friends at home with a Murano chandelier.
2. Gourmet Food: For something authentically Italian, try virgin olive oil flavored with chili peppers or pasta in the shape of gondolas and masks.
3. T-shirts: The essential guaranteed souvenir of Venice, sold at the street stalls.
4. Masks: A mind-boggling array of masks, traditionally made for Carnival in paper-maché ceramic and leather.
5. Marbled Paper: You can buy swirls of pastel hues for covering books or simple as beautiful wrapping paper for gifts.
6. Beads: All manner of beads, from frosted glass, ceramic or the traditional murrhine mosaic.
7. Italian Wine: Take advantage of lower prices and taxes by stocking up on locally produced wines.
8. Fabric: Lace is the most Venetian of materials, but beautiful linens and velvets are also good value.
9. Silverwork: Photo frames, letter openers, and teaspoons make lovely gifts for friends.
10. Clothes: All the top fashion names you can find in Venice Italy.
Have A Great Story About the Rialto Market? Share it! Write about it here! Display your own story about your Experience. Writing skills? Your comment will appear on a new webpage. Make it as long as you want with photo's and your story.
You have read about the Rialto Market. There is enough to explore, as you can see. Please click on the links to explore my site more.
Cheap Parking in Venice Italy
Be smart and get a cheap parking place when you are visiting Venice Italy! Here is an overview and mostly they have shuttle services to Venice... Check it out!